Click here for Digitel
Local Diary
News and Views
Contact Us
Barnstaple Best
BarnstapleThe Town CentreShopping in BarnstapleLeisureSportFood and DrinkTourismAccommodationAttractionsBusiness ResourcesBusiness A to ZEducationLocal NewsAdd Business

Paid Links:

Twigs, Mermaid Walk, 3A Boutport St Tel: 01271 326267 Click Here
Smallridge of Barnstaple, 12/13 Holland Walk, Tel: 01271 342095


If you have already decided that you are getting married - many congratulations from all of us in the Registration Service. We are here to make sure your wedding day is very special. Registration Staff are not just bookkeepers for the important personal events of your life, they play an active part in ensuring the Service meets your personal requirements. This booklet is just part of a wide range of information connected with the Service. If you need more information about any aspect of what we provide a contact point is mentioned at the front of the booklet. Devon Registration Service covers the whole of the county apart from Plymouth and Torbay.

What sort of wedding?...

You may wish to marry in a church or chapel, with the ceremony conducted by an ordained minister. This is a religious ceremony. If you opt for this you will be required to be married in the area where one of you lives unless there are special circumstances .

Alternatively you may be married in a Register Office, a hotel, a castle or anywhere else which is approved by the local Registration Service as a suitable venue for wedding ceremonies. This is a civil ceremony. If you opt for this you may be married in any approved location in England and Wales.

Making the arrangements...

Once you have decided which type of wedding ceremony you would like (religious or civil) you then need to inform the appropriate authority. Since you need to give notice of your civil wedding at least 16 days before the event (more below on giving notice), then you need to start planning the big day well in advance. Different people approach this in different ways, but on average you can make arrangements for almost any type of wedding in about 3 months. However, Superintendent Registrars are able to take provisional wedding bookings in advance. If you leave matters too late especially during the very busy summer period you may find that Registration Officers are fully booked for the date and time you require. In addition we would advise you not to pay any deposit for approved venues until you have checked that Registration Officers are available.

Religious Ceremonies

For religious weddings, whatever denomination you are, start by contacting someone in your local church. They will discuss your plans with you and advise what to do next. Remember that not all clergy have the authority to register marriages. If your minister is not authorised then you will need to contact your local Superintendent Registrar as well to make sure that a Registrar can attend your wedding to complete the registration details. In all cases, the minister will remain in charge of the ceremony. Once you have talked to your minister, and confirmed the date, place and time for your wedding, you will need to give notice of the marriage. This next step is described below under "Giving Notice.

If you want a church wedding in an area in which neither you or your partner lives, then you will need special licence from the Church Authorities. This may be difficult to obtain without particular grounds, or special need of some sort.

Civil Ceremonies

For civil weddings, you should approach your local Superintendent Registrar, who will need to agree with you the date, time and location for your wedding. You may need to spend some time securing dates when all the people concerned with your wedding can be certain of attending. For example, a civil ceremony involves not only the Superintendent Registrar responsible for the preliminary formalities and for conducting the ceremony but also requires the attendance of the Registrar of Marriages. This officer will record the event in the official Marriage Register and will provide you and your partner with the all important Marriage Certificate. Only if these two people are available at the same time on the date that you wish to marry can the ceremony take place. Remember, if you have chosen a location for the wedding in an area in which neither of you live, you will need to make contact with the Superintendent Registrar there too.

The initial arrangements - date, time and place will need your full attention.



North Devon is one of the most attractive areas of the country and regularly attracts large numbers of visitors every year. It is no surprise that more and more couples are choosing to come here to "tie the knot".

Click here for: Stag & Hen nights in North Devon, Licensed Civil Ceremony, Venues, Cars & Carriages, Florists, Photographers & Video Makers, Reception Venues, Jewellers, Caterers, Gifts, Cake Designers and Honeymoon Accommodation and Wedding Video Production

Need A Website?


home | diary | holidays | news | business | contact | barnstaple | town centre | shopping | leisure | sport | food & drink | tourism | accommodation | attractions | business a to z | education | add business | local weather | local surf | bypass | jobs | cars | property | xmas | speed cameras | traffic news


Getting Married in Barnstaple
Local Weather
Local Surf
Barnstaple ByPass Web Cam
Local Vacancies
New and Used Cars
Christmas Opening Times
Devon Speed Cameras
Local Traffic News and BlackSpots