Click here for Digitel
Local Diary
News and Views
Contact Us
Barnstaple Best
BarnstapleThe Town CentreShopping in BarnstapleLeisureSportFood and DrinkTourismAccommodationAttractionsBusiness ResourcesBusiness A to ZEducationLocal NewsAdd Business

Paid Links:

Twigs, Mermaid Walk, 3A Boutport St Tel: 01271 326267 Click Here
Smallridge of Barnstaple, 12/13 Holland Walk, Tel: 01271 342095


Once the initial arrangements have been made, both you and your partner will need to give notice to the local Superintendent Registrar in the area where you have lived for the previous 7 days. If you live in different registration areas this will mean visiting two register offices.

The requirements for giving notice are:

you should both reside in England or Wales for 7 days before the date that you give notice of marriage (moving to another address after the notice has been given will not invalidate this document) you must both give notice of marriage to your local Register Office by making an appointment and attending the office in person (this may involve you and your partner having to give notice at different locations) once the notice has been given a period of 15 clear days must elapse before the wedding may take place an authority for marriage for you and your partner should be collected from the office(s) where they were given at the end of the 15 day period i.e. from the sixteenth day on both authorities must be taken or posted to the Superintendent Registrar of the District in which the ceremony is scheduled to take place before the day of the proposed event

During your discussion with the Superintendent Registrar you will be asked to prove that you are eligible to marry, that you are free to marry and to confirm your identity . One or more of the following documents may need to be produced:

birth certificate
parental consent (for those under 18 years old)
decree absolute (if you are divorced)
death certificate of previous partner (if you have been widowed)
deed poll document (if you have changed your name)
full driving licence
Home Office documentation

If, however, you have any doubt about your immigration or nationality status, please check with the Home Office on 0870 606 7766 or visit the Home Office website at as the requirements for giving notice of marriage in certain circumstances have changed. It may be that you will be required to give notice at a Designated Register Office. In the Devon County Council area this is Barnstaple Register Office.

There is a statutory fee payable to the Superintendent Registrar for each notice which is given. Details of the current cost may be obtained from any Register Office in England and Wales.


North Devon is one of the most attractive areas of the country and regularly attracts large numbers of visitors every year. It is no surprise that more and more couples are choosing to come here to "tie the knot".

Click here for: Stag & Hen nights in North Devon, Licensed Civil Ceremony, Venues, Cars & Carriages, Florists, Photographers & Video Makers, Reception Venues, Jewellers, Caterers, Gifts, Cake Designers and Honeymoon Accommodation and Wedding Video Production

Need A Website?


home | diary | holidays | news | business | contact | barnstaple | town centre | shopping | leisure | sport | food & drink | tourism | accommodation | attractions | business a to z | education | add business | local weather | local surf | bypass | jobs | cars | property | xmas | speed cameras | traffic news


Getting Married in Barnstaple
Local Weather
Local Surf
Barnstaple ByPass Web Cam
Local Vacancies
New and Used Cars
Christmas Opening Times
Devon Speed Cameras
Local Traffic News and BlackSpots